Limerick has been chosen as the test site by Irish Water to use a chemical called Orthophosphate which is hoped will reduce the amount of lead leaking into the city’s drinking water supplies. While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends lead in the water should be combated by replacing the lead piping, it has acknowledged adding Orthophosphate to the supply could be a temporary solution. A safer solution is to add a filtration system to remove lead and other metals from drinking water. Limerick was chosen because it is on the Shannon estuary and not near fresh water bodies. The chemical Orthophosphate is classified as a phosphate (as in fertilisers) and can cause blue-green algae blooms in fresh water, a phenomenon that is already occurring on Lough Derg due to the over-use of fertilisers and subsequent run-off from farm land. Blue-green algae blooms in fresh water can produce potentially toxic cyanobacteria, which is a threat to human health. Pets and wildlife can die as a result of drinking water contaminated with cyanobacteria from algae blooms. In humans, contaminated water can cause acute stomach illness and skin rashes. With algae growth only set to rise, thanks in part to global climate change and the over-use of fertilisers in farming, the impact of its growth on human drinking water is a growing concern. Because Limerick is on an estuary, Irish Water say it is safe to add it to the city water supply…Read More (PDF)
An Irish bottled water brand is no longer available on the shelves of a major retailer in Ireland due to off-water odour complaints according to a report in the Irish Times of July 31st 2015. It has been known for some time that chemicals can leech into the water from the plastic in plastic water bottles. In fact, drinking water from plastic bottles may be hurting your health.
If water is stored in plastic bottles for a long time, it can contain a potentially harmful chemical called antimony, which is similar, chemically to lead and is also a potentially toxic trace element. Antimony is a white metallic element that in small doses can cause nausea, dizziness and depression. In large doses, it can be fatal. It increases over time because the plastic is leaching chemicals into the water. So to protect yourself from plastic chemicals in bottled water, flavored waters and minerals, only buy them in glass bottles whenever possible or better still, don’t buy them.
A low cost healthy alternative is to use a water filter in your home tap water supply and bring your own water in a re-usable cleanable water bottle. What may be more surprising is that plastic bottled water is in many cases just filtered tap water and not the beautiful mountain-stream water pictured on the label…Read More (PDF)
Since around 2009, a boil water notice has been in effect for many Co. Roscommon homes. However, even though the boil water notice has just been lifted, one business insists they will keep their new water filtration system. The lifting of the boil water notice follows inspections at the Killeglan and Castlerea water treatment plants by the Irish Environmental Protection Agency. Some customers in Roscommon have had to boil water during this period to make it safe to drink..Read More (PDF)
Removing lead from water with a tap filter is an affordable option for Irish homeowners who are caught with lead piping in their homes. In a recent article in the Irish Times, it shows that different types of water filters remove different types of contamination. This means that those planning to tackle lead contamination in drinking water, need to check that the filter is the right one for removing lead from water. There are many types of potential contaminants (dirt, chemicals, metals, bacteria etc.) in drinking water and there are specially designed filters to reduce or remove these contaminants. Read More (PDF)
The recent recall of 14 different water bottle brands due to a possible E. coli contamination has many people wondering whether disposable plastic water bottles are safe to drink out of. While bottled water may look pretty good, bacteria can still grow in a plastic bottle’s small crinkles and crevices particularly around the cap area, the part that goes in your mouth…Read More (PDF)